How should I use retinoids for my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
I usually recommend that retinoids be initially used every other day or even only once or twice a week to help the skin adapt to the treatment. Depending on how the skin responds, the applications can increase to every other night and then increase slowly to every night as the skin adapts to the medication. It is important to apply the retinoid at night because the sun inactivates the retinoid. Retinoids are commonly used in climates that are constantly sunny, such as California, Arizona, and Florida. I do not recommend stopping the treatment for those planning vacations to sunny climates because the increased sun sensitivity is accumulated anyway. I simply recommend that they be more vigilant about applying sunscreen and other sun protective behavior, such as wearing a hat and trying not to be out in the middle of the day when the sun is at its peak.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What should acne-prone people wash their faces with?
Stay away from soap, which can rob your skin of its protective barrier and alter your skin's chemist...
How long should it take for acne treatment to work?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
I see plenty of patients who come in with a list of treatments that they have tried and that hav...
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?