How long is the usual course of oral isotretinoin for acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The effect of oral isotretinoin, especially in severe nodulocystic acne, can be dramatic. Most cases of severe acne respond to a single 4- to 6-month treatment course. In general, pustules heal more quickly than papules or nodules. Also, lesions on the face, upper arms, and legs tend to respond more quickly than lesions on the back or chest. In some cases, treatment is started at a low dose in order to help the skin get acclimated to the drug before increasing to a higher dose in the months that follow.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Why has my acne treatment stopped working?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Because acne is a chronic condition of the skin that can wax and wane over a period of many year...
How does the hormone spironolactone work to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Spironolactone functions as both an androgen receptor blocker and possibly also an inhibitor of 5-al...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?