How is electrocautery used to treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Electrocautery is the use of an electric current that is converted into heat and passed through a fine tip. It can be useful in a limited number of circumstances in the treatment of acne and is not often used. The heat applied directly to the acne lesion exfoliates the skin and kills the bacteria. It is also sometimes used to open whiteheads so the contents can then be extracted to clear the lesion. There is a risk of scarring from this treatment, which is one reason it is not considered a main treatment for acne.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How does photodynamic therapy work to treat acne?
Photodynamic therapy involves painting your face with a clear liquid acid (ALA or Levulan) that is a...
Do oral antibiotics used to treat acne have any long-term negative effects?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Tetracyclines are deposited in developing teeth, where they then may cause irreversible yellowis...
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?