How should I apply moisturizer if I'm treating my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The moisturizer is applied over the morning acne regimen, and any makeup can be applied over the moisturizer, as desired. Step one would be to wash/ exfoliate, step two would be to use a toner, if you are so inclined. Step three is to use the topical medication, followed by the final step of moisturizer with or without of sunscreen depending on the time of day.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What types of cleanser should I use to treat or prevent acne?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
There are several cleansers that can be used to treat or prevent acne. The best choice would be a cl...
Are there new topical antibiotics for acne treatment?
Some of the newer types of topical antibiotics for acne treatment involve combination medicines. Whe...
What role do glucocorticoids play in acne treatment?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Glucocorticoids, such as prednisone or dexamethasone, in low doses can suppress the adrenal prod...
Can more serious forms of acne be treated?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Yes. Work with your doctor to find the best treatment for you.Moderate to moderately severe acne. Th...