Is there benefit to using topical acne treatments with oral medications?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The effectiveness of oral acne medications is increased and complimented when used in conjunction with topical treatments. Most commonly, a benzoyl peroxide cleanser or gel is initially used, followed by a retinoid and/or azelaic acid. Once the acne is under control and you are ready to stop the oral antibiotics, a topical antibiotic can be added to complete the treatment regimen.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How can putting an antibiotic medicine on teen skin clear up acne?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Teenage acne is a dermatologic condition in which the pores become clogged with excess production of...
How long should it take for acne treatment to work?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
I see plenty of patients who come in with a list of treatments that they have tried and that hav...
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?