Is there benefit to using topical acne treatments with oral medications?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The effectiveness of oral acne medications is increased and complimented when used in conjunction with topical treatments. Most commonly, a benzoyl peroxide cleanser or gel is initially used, followed by a retinoid and/or azelaic acid. Once the acne is under control and you are ready to stop the oral antibiotics, a topical antibiotic can be added to complete the treatment regimen.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Who is most likely to benefit from hormone therapy for acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
For optimal results from hormonal therapy, appropriate patient selection is key. Hormonal therapy is...
What can a doctor do for my acne?
Doctors can prescribe oral or topical treatments for acne, and can also suggest more progressive...
Is there a supplement that can help treat acne?
Cybele Fishman, MDCybele Fishman, MD
A wonderful, natural supplement for treating acne is fermented cod liver oil. Watch dermatologist Cy...
How often should I wash my face if I'm prone to acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
It is important to keep the face clean without over-washing or scrubbing. The face, or any skin ...