Is there benefit to using topical acne treatments with oral medications?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The effectiveness of oral acne medications is increased and complimented when used in conjunction with topical treatments. Most commonly, a benzoyl peroxide cleanser or gel is initially used, followed by a retinoid and/or azelaic acid. Once the acne is under control and you are ready to stop the oral antibiotics, a topical antibiotic can be added to complete the treatment regimen.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What can I expect from a light chemical peel for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Chemical peels are an increasingly popular treatment to treat acne and to minimize scarring from...
How can heat treatments like Zeno treat acne?
The directions for Zeno primarily recommend it for pimples that are just beginning to appear—it’s a ...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?