How can I get my acne scars treated?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Practitioner

Depending on the depth and severity of the scarring, there are several treatment options to choose from. Shallow scars can be treated with chemical peels, dermabrasion procedures, and laser treatments, which help even out the surface of the skin. Sometimes scars can be injected with a substance like fat or collagen, which helps raise the indented area to be level with the surface of the skin. Scars can also be cut out completely, and the surrounding skin can be sewn back together.

When not treated, moderate and severe acne can cause significant scarring. Cosmetic treatment for scarring includes chemical peels, dermabrasion, microdermabrasion and laser resurfacing. For deep, crater-like scars where laser resurfacing is ineffective, there is soft tissue augmentation. This is a procedure in which the patient's fat (from another part of the body) is used to correct the deep contour, or soft tissue fillers like collagen, hyaluronic acid or fascia lata may be used.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

what is the clearlight device for treating acne ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In 2002, the ClearLight was the first device to get clearance from the US Food and Drug Administ...
More Answers
what do i need to know about caring for someone with acne ?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Make sure that the person affected by acne is following good general skin care habits. Remind them w...
More Answers
what are some prescription medicines for acne ?
There are lots of other options, depending on your level of inflammation, the type of pimples you ha...
More Answers
what are treatments for acne ?
Treatments for acne can include the following: Topical or oral antibiotics and creams can be use...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.