How can I get my acne scars treated?

When not treated, moderate and severe acne can cause significant scarring. Cosmetic treatment for scarring includes chemical peels, dermabrasion, microdermabrasion and laser resurfacing. For deep, crater-like scars where laser resurfacing is ineffective, there is soft tissue augmentation. This is a procedure in which the patient's fat (from another part of the body) is used to correct the deep contour, or soft tissue fillers like collagen, hyaluronic acid or fascia lata may be used.

Depending on the depth and severity of the scarring, there are several treatment options to choose from. Shallow scars can be treated with chemical peels, dermabrasion procedures, and laser treatments, which help even out the surface of the skin. Sometimes scars can be injected with a substance like fat or collagen, which helps raise the indented area to be level with the surface of the skin. Scars can also be cut out completely, and the surrounding skin can be sewn back together.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Treatment for acne scars depends on whether the scars are raised or depressed. For depressed acne scars, treatments can include acne scar surgery, laser skin resurfacing, fillers, chemical peels, dermabrasion, and microdermabrasion. Treatments for raised acne scars can include injections of corticosteroids or interferon to help shrink or soften the scars. If you are considering a cosmetic procedure or treatment, you should consult a dermatologist about which one is right for you.

Dr. Joseph F. Merola, MD
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)
First things first: treat the acne, and get it under good control. There are a number of procedures that will treat acne scars. There is little to no benefit from any existing topical creams to treat acne scars, however a number of procedural treatments exist. The choice of procedure varies by the severity of the acne scarring, cost and skin type. In darker pigmented skin, any skin procedure can lead to a change in skin color, or pigment, and like all procedures should be performed by a qualified individual who is familiar with treating darker skin types. Procedures may include chemical peels and laser resurfacing procedures. Discuss which treatments are right for you with your dermatologist, dermatologic or plastic surgeon.
Dr. Heidi A. Waldorf, MD
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

Dermatologist Dr. Heidi Waldorf explains how acne scars are typically treated. Watch Dr. Waldorf's video for tips and information on cosmetic dermatology and skin health.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How can I get my old acne scars treated?
The choice to have a cosmetic procedure is a personal one. While all women are beautiful in their ...
What's in a noncomedogenic cleanser?
There is a wide variety of noncomedogenic cleansers available on the market. It means that the produ...
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?