How can I get my acne scars treated?

First things first: treat the acne, and get it under good control. There are a number of procedures that will treat acne scars. There is little to no benefit from any existing topical creams to treat acne scars, however a number of procedural treatments exist. The choice of procedure varies by the severity of the acne scarring, cost and skin type. In darker pigmented skin, any skin procedure can lead to a change in skin color, or pigment, and like all procedures should be performed by a qualified individual who is familiar with treating darker skin types. Procedures may include chemical peels and laser resurfacing procedures. Discuss which treatments are right for you with your dermatologist, dermatologic or plastic surgeon.
Joseph Ajaka
Cosmetology

There are 2 main techniques for treating acne scars:

Fractionated Lasers such as the Fraxel, are extremely effective for treating acne scars. It treats a “fraction” of the skin by creating thousands of tiny perforations, whilst leaving undamaged skin intact. These undamaged cells move into the “damaged area”, and heal the wounded area. The injury to the damaged skin causes collagen stimulation.

Further collagen remodeling takes place for 3-6 months and the number of treatments will depend on the severity of the acne scars, but usually 3 to 6 are required. There is roughly a 80% improvement in the appearance of acne scars after 3 treatments. Their minimal downtime and side effects with fractionated lasers 

Dermal fillers can be used directly at scar sites to plump or fill out the scar, making them almost invisible. This is a very effective treatment, however each acne scar needs to be treated separately and the filler will last 3-6 months, so will need to be treated continuously.

Dermatologist Dr. Heidi Waldorf explains how acne scars are typically treated. Watch Dr. Waldorf's video for tips and information on cosmetic dermatology and skin health.

Treatment for acne scars depends on whether the scars are raised or depressed. For depressed acne scars, treatments can include acne scar surgery, laser skin resurfacing, fillers, chemical peels, dermabrasion, and microdermabrasion. Treatments for raised acne scars can include injections of corticosteroids or interferon to help shrink or soften the scars. If you are considering a cosmetic procedure or treatment, you should consult a dermatologist about which one is right for you.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How should I treat acne pustules?
If you experience this type of acne, a daily three-step cleansing/toner/moisturizer plan will help k...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with acne?
A consistent daily routine is a key factor in treating acne. If you can help to keep to a cleans...
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?