Why should I consult a dermatologist for my acne?

Because acne is number one diagnosis treated by dermatologists. We see more acne than any other diagnosis and we can offer expert advice on healthy habits, diet, makeup, over-the-counter treatments and of course prescription treatments and medications.

Many products are developed to treat and prevent acne. While there are many over-the-counter options available to try, sometimes a more intense regimen is required. A dermatologist will be able to share professional advice and can prescribe stronger medication. There is no one-size-fits-all cure, so you might need to try several options before you find the one that works best for you.

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

The main reason to consult a dermatologist is when over the counter products don't work.  There are many good over the counter acne medications and for mild acne they may just do the trick.  But if you have more severe acne, you will likely need to see a dermatologist.  If your dermatologist suspects hormonal problems you may have blood work as part of your initial examination. Most likely you will be prescribed a combination of prescription topical and oral medications. Your dermatologist may also recommend in office treatments like microdermabrasion, chemical peels and even lasers. These are very helpful for treating many types of acne. 

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What role does the sebaceous gland play in acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Acne occurs in areas where there is the highest density of active sebaceous glands. It is usuall...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?