Question

Acne

I am an older woman and have never had acne but I have it now, why?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    There are several possible causes of acne in older women. They include ovarian cysts, pregnancy, and hormonal changes related to menopause.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • APatricia Farris, MD, Dermatology, answered

I have had many patients say "how can I have wrinkles and pimples at the same time?" Well it seems that menopause plays some dirty little tricks on us including causing acne. During perimenopause and early menopause estrogen levels are declining while traces of male hormone remain. Male hormones stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce oils that promote acne. As for wrinkles, it the lack of estrogen again that is the culprit. Lower estrogen levels are known to promote collagen loss in the skin causing wrinkles.  

What causes acne vulgaris?