I am an older woman and have never had acne but I have it now, why?

There are several possible causes of acne in older women. They include ovarian cysts, pregnancy, and hormonal changes related to menopause.
Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

I have had many patients say "how can I have wrinkles and pimples at the same time?" Well it seems that menopause plays some dirty little tricks on us including causing acne. During perimenopause and early menopause estrogen levels are declining while traces of male hormone remain. Male hormones stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce oils that promote acne. As for wrinkles, it the lack of estrogen again that is the culprit. Lower estrogen levels are known to promote collagen loss in the skin causing wrinkles.  

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
I break out in zits but have extremely dry skin; do I have acne?
The best approach to diagnosing acne is to see a dermatologist. The unique specifics of your con...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
How Common Is Adult Acne?
How Common Is Adult Acne?