Why are pimples red?

The redness you see in pimples comes from an increase in the local blood circulation, which is caused by acne inflammation. No one knows why some individuals suffer from acne with a lot of redness and inflammation, and others get acne with mainly blackheads and clogged pores and very little redness and inflammation.

Inflammatory acne is treated differently from non-inflamed acne. If you have a lot of red pimples, it's usually necessary to treat with antibiotics, applied topically or given by mouth. In females with inflamed acne, oral contraceptives can be very helpful. And very severe inflammatory cystic acne may require the oral drug isotretinoin, which requires close monitoring by your physician.

The redness of a pimple is due to inflammation below the skin’s surface. The inflammation is the result of the immune system responding to a build up of pus and bacteria. Watch the animation to see how pimples form.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What do acne scars look like?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
All acne scars are not alike. A forceful inflammatory response can have two results. The most co...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?