Why do I get acne during pregnancy?

The pores in your skin can sometimes get blocked (by dirt, by build-up of makeup, or by accelerated skin growth from increased estrogen). When that happens, the oil in your skin can't drain out and bacteria start to grow, causing irritation and acne appear. And if a woman is prone to acne, pregnancy may worsen it - all over her body, not just her face.

Over-the-counter treatments (like benzoyl peroxide) are generally considered safe, though we recommend waiting until after the first trimester. Check with your doctor, because some acne medications like Accutane (isotretinoin) are considered harmful during pregnancy.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Acne

I break out in zits but have extremely dry skin; do I have acne?
The best approach to diagnosing acne is to see a dermatologist. The unique specifics of your con...
What are the latest innovations for treating acne?
Today, dermatologists most commonly focus on treating acne with a combination of medications. In...
Does moisturizer make acne worse?
Your skin still needs moisture. Even oily skin needs moisture. Acne meds are often very drying, so y...
Is picking my pimples really bad for my skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There is a name for the type of acne that occurs from constant picking at the lesions. It is cal...