Who is most at risk for acne?

While acne can occur in adults, teenagers and those in their early 20s are most at risk. These ages are most likely to be undergoing the hormonal changes that can result in oil build-up and acne.

Since acne is caused by a combination of oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria clogging the hair follicle, its severity is connected to the amount of sebum, or oil, the skin produces. Because hormones control sebum production, acne is more likely to develop whenever levels of hormones change. This means that teenagers going through puberty are especially at risk for acne. Usually by the time people reach their 20s, hormone levels are more stable and acne goes away. However, other people whose hormone levels aren't stable-like pregnant or menstruating women or people taking steroids-are also more at risk for acne.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Why am I now getting acne as an adult?
First, understand that adult acne is common and its causes are multifaceted. Not having zits as a te...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?