How are dead skin cells related to pimples?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
A pimple starts when the pore around a hair follicle becomes blocked. When your hormones surge in teen years or with pregnancy or menstruation, the elevated hormones stimulate the sebaceous glands, which are attached to hair follicles. Dead skin cells that normally shed from skin can mix with sebum and block the opening of the pore.  Bacteria thrive on the excess oil inside the blocked pore, and your body responds by sending cells to kill the bacteria. As a result the pore swells and turns red with a white center -- which we call a pimple.

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What's the Best Way to Clean Off Makeup at the End of the Day?
Is There a Supplement That Can Help Treat Acne?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?
Can I Over-Wash My Face?