Does oily skin cause acne?

Acne is not caused by either oily skin or poor hygiene, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. All types of skin can develop whiteheads, blackheads and pimples. Acne tends to develop when an oily substance called sebum produced by sebaceous (oil-making) glands mixes with dead skin cells and other debris to plug pores and cause bacteria to thrive. For best results, wash your face and other affected areas gently with a mild soap twice daily and pat dry. If the acne persists, seek treatment. 

Continue Learning about Acne

Why am I now getting acne as an adult?
Rather than occurring in the teen years, and fading in the 20s, adult onset acne begins for peop...
What is a safe way to pop a pimple?
Pimples are formed because the body is trying to push out infections. However, squeezing pimples act...
Should I squeeze zits?
The best advice for evacuating "zits" would be to have a licensed aesthetician perform a facial. Squ...
Should I scrub my skin with acne?
You should not scrub your skin if you have acne. Scrubbing will not get rid of acne; it can irri...