Does chocolate cause acne?

Foods like chocolate, soda, pizza, potato chips, French fries -- anything that seems bad or forbidden -- usually get blamed for breakouts, but there’s barely a lick of evidence showing any of them (or any food) produces pimples.

I’m not convinced that all bad foods lead to pimples; in fact, I don’t believe in any food being bad. I will take some of the current theories on the connection between diet and acne with a grain of salt until further research is done. Plus, a blemish usually takes longer to develop, so yesterday's chocolate binge is irrelevant.

Keep in mind that it’s tempting to blame food because pimples make us feel out of control of our skin. If we decide chocolate is the culprit, we feel we can regain control if we stop eating it. If you swear you have a trigger food and you feel safer if you avoid it (and thus, it lowers your stress), by all means do.

Personally, I wouldn’t give up chocolate! I’d focus on treatment.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Acne

What is neonatal acne?
Ms. Kathryne A. LeMieuxMs. Kathryne A. LeMieux
There is a great answer to this question from Dr. Doris Day in this thread. Remember not to attempt ...
What are the different types of acne lesions?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Following are the different types of acne lesions:Comedo (whiteheads or blackheads) or papules. The ...
How can tea tree oil be used to treat acne?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Many swear by the bacteria-fighting, anti-acne action of tea tree oil. If the pure oil irritates you...
Why am I now getting acne as an adult?
Rather than occurring in the teen years, and fading in the 20s, adult onset acne begins for peop...