Can sunscreen cause acne?

When purchasing a sunscreen for your face, avoid oil-based products. Excess oil is usually the basis of many acne problems. You should also avoid products that are scented or dyed, as these can irritate skin.
Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

Sunscreens do not cause acne but they can exacerbate it. If you have acne it's important to choose sunscreens that are labeled oil free and non-comedogenic. Many acne medications leave the skin more sensitive to the sun so acne patients do need to wear sunscreen. This is especially true if you are using a topical retinoid or taking oral medications like tetracycline and doxycycline. 

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
What type of facial moisturizer should I use for oily, acne prone skin?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
The American Academy of Dermatology says that if you’re prone to breakouts, oil-based moisturize...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
How Do I Treat Blackheads?
How Do I Treat Blackheads?