How can I change my diet to help reduce acne?

From an ayurvedic perspective, the health of your skin is directly related to your diet. In fact, one of the reasons that stress can cause sudden and severe acne outbreaks is because of the immediate impact that stress has on your digestive system. To help improve your digestion, follow the general dietary guidelines listed below. Remember, this is a long-term commitment and you have to keep these recommendations in mind for the long haul.
  • Eat warm, soft, cooked foods.
  • Avoid raw vegetables and salads.
  • Drink beverages at room temperature or warm.
  • Avoid cold drinks and frozen desserts (such as ice cream, popsicles, frozen yogurt, etc.).
  • Reduce light, dry, crunchy food.
  • Reduce spicy, sour, fried, and fermented foods.
  • Reduce yogurt, alcohol, coffee, vinegar, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and cheese.

Continue Learning about Acne Prevention

Can I prevent acne by washing my face a lot?
You don't need to wash your face a lot to help prevent acne. The best skin care routine is the one t...
If I have acne, should I use a headband to keep my hair off my face?
Keeping your hair off of your face is important when you have acne. Your hair contains oils that can...
What foods help prevent acne?
Cybele Fishman, MDCybele Fishman, MD
If you want a more natural approach to treating acne, there are some key dietary changes you can mak...
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?
What Foods Help Prevent Acne?