Do I have to train upper and lower abs separately to get the best results?

No, you do not have to train the upper and lower abs separately to get the best results from your program. While it is fairly commonplace to refer to the abs as separate upper and lower portions, the reality is that it is virtually impossible to isolate the upper and lower regions of the abs.  Certainly there are exercises that emphasize different parts of the abs, but the entire abdominal region has to work together in order to produce movment or stabilize against movement. Therefore, the best results will be achieved through incorporating a variety of ab exercises into your routine, with each one providing a slightly different challenge and stimulus to the abdominal muscles.

Continue Learning about Ab/Core Exercises

3 Exercises for a Flatter Belly
3 Exercises for a Flatter Belly
With beach weather just around the corner, who isn't thinking about shedding a few pounds and tackling that muffin top? So we hit the floor and bang o...
How do I perform marching?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Toes are pointing forward and arms...
How do I perform an abdominal stretch on a ball?
Diane Armstrong, NASM Elite TrainerDiane Armstrong, NASM Elite Trainer
Start1. Place back on ball.Movement2. Drape body over ball and extend legs and arms until stretch is...
What Is a Good Exercise to Flatten My Belly?