Do I have to train upper and lower abs separately to get the best results?

No, you do not have to train the upper and lower abs separately to get the best results from your program. While it is fairly commonplace to refer to the abs as separate upper and lower portions, the reality is that it is virtually impossible to isolate the upper and lower regions of the abs.  Certainly there are exercises that emphasize different parts of the abs, but the entire abdominal region has to work together in order to produce movment or stabilize against movement. Therefore, the best results will be achieved through incorporating a variety of ab exercises into your routine, with each one providing a slightly different challenge and stimulus to the abdominal muscles.

Continue Learning about Ab/Core Exercises

How do I perform a ball Russian twist?
Lie on a stability ball with your back, head and neck placed squarely on the ball and your feet plac...
Are Roman chair leg-lifts a good lower abdominal exercise?
Yes! It is imperative to be physically active. There are many ways to be active including house wo...
What core exercises can I do if I hate crunches and sit-ups?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
You can try variations on plank and downward dog. Focus on supporting the back body with the fro...
Besides looking awesome, what is a benefit of having strong abs?
Garrett Shepherd , NASM Elite TrainerGarrett Shepherd , NASM Elite Trainer
It is always nice to "look awesome", but having strong Abs is a great benefit.  If your Abs, Lower B...