Question

Tooth Extraction

What happens to the stitches in my mouth following a surgical extraction?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    If you received stitches during your surgical extraction, the stitches will dissolve on their own in about two weeks. You can rinse with warm salt water to help them dissolve. If they do not go away on their own, they may need to be removed by a surgeon or dentist.
  • With today's advanced and modern procedures, stitches from tooth extractions typically dissolve and absorb on their own. A follow up visit to the dentist is typically not necessary for removal of these stitches for this reason. Your dentist will advise you following the procedure on your stitches and other follow up care.
  • AAmit Somani, Dentist, answered
    It depends on what kind of stitches the dentist used in your mouth. There are two types: stitches that resorb on their own and you don't need to do anything, and the other are stitches for which you see the dentist in about two weeks and he/she removes them. Ask your dentist which type he/she placed in your mouth. 
  • AMichael Zadeh, MD, Surgery, answered
    The stitches in your mouth after tooth extraction are absorbable and dissolve on their own after a few days.
Should I avoid certain activities following a surgical tooth extraction?