What should be done after the first 24 hours of wisdom tooth extraction?

Rest and engage in quiet activities for the first 24 hours after having a tooth extracted. You can expect some bleeding or oozing in the day following the procedure, and if this occurs, bite down gently on folded clean gauze for an hour at a time.

Protect the beneficial blood clot that forms in the hole where your tooth was located to avoid a painful "dry socket" from developing:
  • don’t rinse, spit, or brush your teeth
  • don’t use a mouthwash
  • don't pick at the hole or blood clot
  • don't use a straw or a Water Pik
  • don't drink alcoholic or carbonated beverages
  • don't smoke or chew tobacco
Use ice bags if you have bruising or swelling for intervals of 30 minutes with 15 minutes off. Take pain medication as prescribed or recommended by your dentist or oral surgeon. Eat cool, soft foods such as milkshakes, yogurt, and applesauce. If you have any questions or concerns, call the dentist or oral surgeon's office. 
After the extraction, your dentist will advise you of what post extraction regimen to follow.

For the first 24 hours, avoid anything that might prevent normal healing. It is usually best not to smoke or rinse your mouth vigorously, or drink through a straw. These activities could dislodge the clot and delay healing.

For the first few days, if you must rinse, rinse your mouth gently afterward, for pain or swelling, apply a cold cloth or an ice bag. Ask your dentist about pain medication. You can brush and floss the other teeth as usual. But don't clean the teeth next to the tooth socket.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

What can I expect during recovery from a surgical tooth extraction?
Following a surgical tooth extraction, your jaw may be sore, stiff, and swollen. You may need to bit...
What steps can I take to prevent the need for a tooth extraction?
Rita MedwidRita Medwid
Prevention is the key with tooth brushing and especially flossing. Take the floss below the gum line...
Why might I need tooth removal and extraction?
There are a number of reasons why your dentist may suggest that you have tooth removal and extractio...
Is there follow-up required for tooth removal and extraction?
In some cases, you may need to attend follow up visits for your tooth removal and extraction, but in...