Question

Breast Cancer Symptoms

What does it mean if I suddenly notice redness on my breasts?

• ABrian P. McKinley, MD, Surgery, answered on behalf of Greenville Health System

Redness on the breasts can be cause by many things. Infections, skin problems, and tumors of the breast can cause redness. Most color changes that can be seen on the surface of the breast will turn out to be caused by benign conditions, like infections or skin diseases. It is critically important, though, that you report any new breast symptom to your doctor so a thorough evaluation of the problem can be performed. And don't delay.

• AStephen K. Montoya, MD, OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology), answered on behalf of Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center
    What Does It Mean if There's Redness on My Breasts?
    Redness on the breast can be nothing but it also can be caused by a tumor, says Stephen Montoya, MD, an OB/GYN at Sunrise Hospital. In this video he says that infection can also cause redness.
Why does inflammatory breast cancer cause red and swollen breasts?