What might happen to my baby if I get Zika when I'm pregnant?

If you are infected with the Zika virus while pregnant, your baby may be born with a small brain or head. This is called microcephaly. Scientists believe the Zika virus interferes with how the baby's brain develops while in the womb. The brain does not develop the right amount of neurons as it grows.

The link between the Zika virus and microcephaly is rather new. There is not a lot of information to tell whether all pregnant women and their babies are at risk for danger if infected. There is also limited research to know which part of pregnancy (or trimester) is the most dangerous time to become infected.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

4 Types of People Mosquitoes Love
4 Types of People Mosquitoes Love
What Might Happen to My Baby If I Get Zika When I'm Pregnant?
3 Ways to Protect Against Zika Virus
3 Ways to Protect Against Zika Virus
Should I Delay My Pregnancy Because of the Zika Virus?