As a beginner, can I walk into a Vinyasa yoga class and keep up?

There are beginner Vinyasa-style yoga classes (Slow Flow or Vinyasa Level 1) offered and you should start there first, if possible. Since Vinyasa does flow from one pose to another without a lot of emphasis on feeling and finding the pose alignment, and to avoid any potential injury, it is beneficial to introduce yourself to a non-flowing style first, such as an Introduction to Hatha Yoga or any Basic Yoga class. Although, as with any yoga class, you may always feel free to take a rest in Child's Pose (Balasana) wherein you sit back on the heels, big toes together and walk the hands and arms in front of you while you descend the forehead toward the mat. You can then join back in with the class when it feels right for you. It is important to remember that yoga is a non-competitive practice which is ever-changing depending on how you and your body show up each day. Some days your body will take you easily through an entire class with strong energy and some days you may need to honor yourself with a few breaks or even a more gentle practice.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Chair Yoga: Maintaining Your Comfort Zone
Photo Credit: Vincent Gallegos, via Flickr Creative Commons To stay true to your needs during your yoga postures, you may need more support than just...
How can I try yoga without participating in the spirtual aspect?
This is an excellent question and a very common concern. A good yoga class will not "force" spir...
7 Best Yoga Poses for Stress Relief
7 Best Yoga Poses for Stress Relief7 Best Yoga Poses for Stress Relief7 Best Yoga Poses for Stress Relief7 Best Yoga Poses for Stress Relief
Relax and breathe easier with these calming yoga postures.
What Yoga Poses Can Help Me with My Balance?