When should I call my doctor after an angiogram or angioplasty?

SecondsCount.org
Administration
After you return to your home, you may notice a bruise in the area where the doctor inserted the catheter. It is caused by blood that has escaped from the vessel under the skin. A small -- and sometimes larger -- bruise is normal. It is not necessary to report bruising to your doctor, even if the area is large. Usually, it clears up over a period of one to three weeks.

You should call the doctor or nurse practitioner if you have:
  • Bleeding, drainage or painful swelling at the site where the catheter was inserted.
  • Swelling or weakness and/or numbness in the leg or arm in which the catheter was inserted.
Joaquin Solis, MD

Call your doctor after an angiogram, angioplasty, or electrophysiology study if you have:

• Bleeding from the site. If bleeding occurs, lie down and apply firm pressure about two fingers above the site. Call 911 and keep pressure on the site.
  • Numbness, tingling, or color change in the leg or arm used for the puncture site
  • Increasing pain and firmness near the puncture site
  • A temperature greater than 101 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Redness around the site
  • Drainage from the site