When should I call my doctor after an angiogram or angioplasty?

After you return to your home, you may notice a bruise in the area where the doctor inserted the catheter. It is caused by blood that has escaped from the vessel under the skin. A small -- and sometimes larger -- bruise is normal. It is not necessary to report bruising to your doctor, even if the area is large. Usually, it clears up over a period of one to three weeks.

You should call the doctor or nurse practitioner if you have:
  • Bleeding, drainage or painful swelling at the site where the catheter was inserted.
  • Swelling or weakness and/or numbness in the leg or arm in which the catheter was inserted.
Joaquin Solis, MD
Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease)

Call your doctor after an angiogram, angioplasty, or electrophysiology study if you have:

  • Bleeding from the site. If bleeding occurs, lie down and apply firm pressure about two fingers above the site. Call 911 and keep pressure on the site.
  • Numbness, tingling, or color change in the leg or arm used for the puncture site
  • Increasing pain and firmness near the puncture site
  • A temperature greater than 101 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Redness around the site
  • Drainage from the site

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Why would a radiologist need multiple x-rays?
Regional Medical CenterRegional Medical Center
There are a variety of reasons—from technical problems to fidgety patients—why x-rays may need to be...
More Answers
What is computed tomographic colonography?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Computed tomographic (CT) colonography (virtual colonoscopy) is a procedure that uses CT images to p...
More Answers
How does an x-ray work?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Plain film radiography unifies principles of photography, anatomy, and x-ray production. X-rays ...
More Answers
When is a hip x-ray necessary?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
X-rays are usually taken after traumatic blows to the hip. Falling on the hip, or even falling h...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.