When should I call my doctor after an angiogram or angioplasty?

Joaquin Solis, MD

Call your doctor after an angiogram, angioplasty, or electrophysiology study if you have:

• Bleeding from the site. If bleeding occurs, lie down and apply firm pressure about two fingers above the site. Call 911 and keep pressure on the site.
  • Numbness, tingling, or color change in the leg or arm used for the puncture site
  • Increasing pain and firmness near the puncture site
  • A temperature greater than 101 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Redness around the site
  • Drainage from the site
After you return to your home, you may notice a bruise in the area where the doctor inserted the catheter. It is caused by blood that has escaped from the vessel under the skin. A small -- and sometimes larger -- bruise is normal. It is not necessary to report bruising to your doctor, even if the area is large. Usually, it clears up over a period of one to three weeks.

You should call the doctor or nurse practitioner if you have:
  • Bleeding, drainage or painful swelling at the site where the catheter was inserted.
  • Swelling or weakness and/or numbness in the leg or arm in which the catheter was inserted.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Could I be allergic to X-ray dye?
SCAISCAI
Some procedures for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease use contrast dye. Angiograms a...
How does an X-ray machine work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
An X-ray machine is basically just a camera. Where a camera uses visible light, however, an X-ray ma...
What is the difference between radial and femoral angiography?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
Angiography is the study of arteries and/or veins. Femoral and radial angiography refer to the point...
Who performs the chest x-ray test?
A chest x-ray is performed by a radiologic technologist, a medical professional who is also sometime...