When is a hip x-ray necessary?

X-rays are usually taken after traumatic blows to the hip. Falling on the hip, or even falling hard on the knee so that it drives the thigh bone (femur) into the pelvis, usually requires an x-ray to rule out a fracture. If there is excessive pain at the joint or if the injured person cannot stand up or put any weight on the injured leg, then a hip x-ray may be necessary. Prolonged pain at the hip that does not get better with time may be verified by an x-ray to ensure that there are no bony abnormalities.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Tampa Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

How does an X-ray machine work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
An X-ray machine is basically just a camera. Where a camera uses visible light, however, an X-ray ma...
What can I expect during a barium enema x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
At the time of a barium enema examination (an x-ray procedure to examine the lower gastrointesti...
What is a sinus X-ray?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Also known as radiographs or roentgenograms, sinus x-ray tests may be done in the office or at a hos...
Could I be allergic to X-ray dye?
SCAISCAI
Some procedures for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease use contrast dye. Angiograms a...