When is a hip x-ray necessary?

X-rays are usually taken after traumatic blows to the hip. Falling on the hip, or even falling hard on the knee so that it drives the thigh bone (femur) into the pelvis, usually requires an x-ray to rule out a fracture. If there is excessive pain at the joint or if the injured person cannot stand up or put any weight on the injured leg, then a hip x-ray may be necessary. Prolonged pain at the hip that does not get better with time may be verified by an x-ray to ensure that there are no bony abnormalities.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Tampa Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

What is a barium swallow?
Barium swallow is the process of getting x-ray pictures of the esophagus or the upper gastrointestin...
How much radiation am I exposed to with an x-ray?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
A chest x-ray exposes you to the equivalent of 10 days of background radiation.
Could I be allergic to X-ray dye?
SCAISCAI
Some procedures for diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease use contrast dye. Angiograms a...
What is an extremity X-ray?
An extremity x-ray is a picture of the internal structures in one of your extremities -- your hand, ...