When should I worry if one breast is bigger than the other?

It is normal for women to have one breast bigger than the other. Most women have uneven breasts–or they have different shapes.

Sometimes, a woman will notice that one breast increases significantly in size from her baseline. This should always be evaluated with physical examination and imaging, especially if the change happens over a short period of time (days to weeks). Solid masses, fluid collections and infections are common causes of sudden breast enlargement.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Having breasts of two different sizes is common. In this video, I will discuss when asymmetric breasts should be worried about.

It is quite common for each breast to be slightly different in size, a condition called asymmetry. Breast asymmetry is defined as a difference of form, position or volume of the breast, and it affects more than half of all women. In fact, one study of 100 women who wanted breast augmentation with implants found that 88 percent had natural asymmetries.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Worst Case Scenario . . . I Left My Tampon In Too Long
When you’re having a busy day, changing your tampon can be the last thing on your mind. Waiting too long to change it, however, can lead to serious he...
What women's summer shoes are more harmful to feet?
Women's summer shoes can be unhealthy for feet, including flip-flops. Watch this video by Dr. Oz...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
Your breasts are pretty remarkable—you may not know everything they can do.
What Can I Do to Help Prevent Breast Cancer?