Why might I need x-rays after a breast-cancer-screening mammogram?

After a screening (annual) mammogram, you may be asked to return for more x-ray pictures or images. About 5% to 10% of all people who have a screening mammogram need to have more images taken or additional testing. This does not mean that there is anything wrong with your breast or that the person who did your screening mammogram did something wrong. Usually these diagnostic tests are needed because there was a change in the breast tissue.

Some of the reasons more images or tests may be needed include:
  • Sometimes the breast tissue overlaps on the x-ray, making it look like a lump or mass is present. X-ray images taken at different angles can show if there truly is a mass present.
  • If a mass is seen on the mammogram, extra images or tests can help the radiologist (doctor who reads x-rays) see all sides and edges of the mass very clearly.
  • Calcium buildup, or calcifications, may occur in breast tissue. There are two types of calcifications -- benign (not suspicious) and suspicious. Most are benign. Extra images or tests can help the radiologist decide the type of calcification that is present.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

The Female Brain Unleashed
The Female Brain Unleashed
I have been surrounded by powerful women my whole life. Growing up, there were so many women in my life that when my mother brought my fifth sister, J...
How often does a healthy young woman need a check-up?
Jame K. Heskett, MDJame K. Heskett, MD
If you are healthy, I still think a once yearly check up is optimal for most women. It is healthy to...
Are My Boobs Normal?
Are My Boobs Normal?Are My Boobs Normal?Are My Boobs Normal?Are My Boobs Normal?
Dr. Anne Chapas Describes the VelaShape III Treatment