Why might I need x-rays after a breast-cancer-screening mammogram?

After a screening (annual) mammogram, you may be asked to return for more x-ray pictures or images. About 5% to 10% of all people who have a screening mammogram need to have more images taken or additional testing. This does not mean that there is anything wrong with your breast or that the person who did your screening mammogram did something wrong. Usually these diagnostic tests are needed because there was a change in the breast tissue.

Some of the reasons more images or tests may be needed include:
  • Sometimes the breast tissue overlaps on the x-ray, making it look like a lump or mass is present. X-ray images taken at different angles can show if there truly is a mass present.
  • If a mass is seen on the mammogram, extra images or tests can help the radiologist (doctor who reads x-rays) see all sides and edges of the mass very clearly.
  • Calcium buildup, or calcifications, may occur in breast tissue. There are two types of calcifications -- benign (not suspicious) and suspicious. Most are benign. Extra images or tests can help the radiologist decide the type of calcification that is present.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

How to Know When You Need a 3D Mammogram
I recently booked an appointment for my first-ever mammogram. During the call, I was offered the option of having a three-dimensional (3D) mammogram, ...
Can I have PCOS even if my ovaries have been removed?
You can still have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) even if your ovaries have been removed because P...
4 Simple Ways to Beat Bloat
4 Simple Ways to Beat Bloat4 Simple Ways to Beat Bloat4 Simple Ways to Beat Bloat4 Simple Ways to Beat Bloat
Do you feel swollen and full—a little like an overinflated balloon? Take control with these easy tips.
How Often Should I Do a Breast Self-Exam?