Are breasts a source of pleasure for women?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
It's obvious that if you are someone attracted to breasts (man or woman), looking at breasts can be arousing -- especially if they are bouncing, or have goosebumps, or are wet coming out of the shower....you get the picture. The fact is that stimulation of the breasts is wonderful way to increase your arousal, and possibly the intensity of your orgasms. Sensitivity can vary quite a bit from woman to woman, with smaller breasts on average being more sensitive than larger breasts. Also, when there is breast surgery, sensitivity can be impaired -- either reduced or almost eliminated completely. This usually depends on whether the surgery allows for preservation of the fourth intercostal nerve which is responsible for the nipple-areola area. Surgery aside, breast sensitivity in pre-menopausal women varies with their menstrual cycle, with the time between ovulation and the start of flow being the most sensitive period. Some women even find their breasts too sensitive to touch in the days just before starting their period.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Lose Weight, Get Healthy and Avoid Eating Disorders
If you're a woman, it's likely that you or other women you know are wondering how to lose weight and get healthy. Doonesbury cartoonist Gary Trudeau g...
What should I do if I or my doctor detects a mass in my breast?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
If your doctor detects a mass in your breast, you should immediately undergo screening diagnostic te...
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts6 Surprising Facts About Your Breasts
Your breasts are pretty remarkable—you may not know everything they can do.
What Are the Most Common Sexual Health Concerns Among Your Patients?