question

If I've been overweight my whole life, how do I change?

National Academy of Sports Medicine
National Academy of Sports Medicine
answer
Weight loss is not easy -- it takes discipline, hard work, and support from family and friends. However, weight loss is possible and people defy the odds and change their lives every day. Fortunately, the law of thermodynamics can help explain how you can lose weight. This law dictates that if you burn more calories than you take in, then you will lose weight. Begin by setting a goal to losing 1 to 2 pounds per week. Losing weight anymore rapidly than this could be unhealthy and difficult to maintain. To help you visual how you can accomplish this goal, it is important to understand that there are 3,500 calories in 1 pound of fat. So, to lose 2 pounds per week you must burn 7,000 calories more than you take in, or burn about 1,000 calories per day. In order to achieve this amount of calorie burn, consider beginning an exercise program which will help you burn an extra 500 calories and a nutrition plan which cuts your calorie intake down by 500. You may want to start slowly and aim for losing one pound a week (3,500 calories) which would help to make your daily habits and goals more achievable in the beginning.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

5 Reasons You Can't Lose Weight
5 Reasons You Can't Lose Weight
You haven't had a bite of pizza or a lick of ice cream in, like, forever, but you still can't lose a pound. What's up with that? Here's the real what,...
Use Your Smartphone to Boost Weight Loss
Maintaining a healthy weight is important to your overall well-being. Not only can it boost your energy level, but it can also reduce your risk of dev...
6 Simple Steps to Walk for Weight Loss
6 Simple Steps to Walk for Weight Loss
Saying you're too heavy to exercise is like saying you're too skinny to eat. Your body needs exercise just as your body needs food. And walking may be...
4 Small Eating Changes to Help You Lose Weight
When you think about losing weight, do you worry you’ll have to eat foods that taste like cardboard or say no to sweets altogether? That is not necess...