If I've been overweight my whole life, how do I change?

Weight loss is not easy -- it takes discipline, hard work, and support from family and friends. However, weight loss is possible and people defy the odds and change their lives every day. Fortunately, the law of thermodynamics can help explain how you can lose weight. This law dictates that if you burn more calories than you take in, then you will lose weight. Begin by setting a goal to losing 1 to 2 pounds per week. Losing weight anymore rapidly than this could be unhealthy and difficult to maintain. To help you visual how you can accomplish this goal, it is important to understand that there are 3,500 calories in 1 pound of fat. So, to lose 2 pounds per week you must burn 7,000 calories more than you take in, or burn about 1,000 calories per day. In order to achieve this amount of calorie burn, consider beginning an exercise program which will help you burn an extra 500 calories and a nutrition plan which cuts your calorie intake down by 500. You may want to start slowly and aim for losing one pound a week (3,500 calories) which would help to make your daily habits and goals more achievable in the beginning.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

How to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
How to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
Get tips from Dr. Mike Roizen’s latest book, This is YOUR Do-Over. By: Ana Lopez   The Beatles weren’t the only ones talking about how you can get b...
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
Could these surprising things be sabotaging your weight loss? You’ve kicked the soda habit, tossed the junk food and you’re making regular appearances...
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
Know the Difference Between Portion Size and Serving Size