Can I take vitamin C if I am on heart medications?

You should always discuss any vitamins or herbal supplements that you are considering taking with your primary care physician, plus any other specialists you are seeing, including your cardiologist. Many supplements may change the effectiveness of various medications you may be on to manage your heart disease. 

For example, though more research is needed, vitamin C may interfere with the ability of warfarin (Coumadin) to thin your blood. Conversely, it may increase the level of aspirin in your blood.

So if you are on medications for your heart, contact your physician before beginning supplementation. Those megadoses of vitamin C you may be taking to ward off the first cold virus of the season could change the effectiveness of important medications.

Continue Learning about Vitamin C

Vitamin C Is Not an Exercise Replacement
John F. Kennedy once said, “There are risks and costs to a program of action, but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable...
Can vitamin C help lower high blood pressure?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
One study suggests that taking a vitamin C supplement may help keep blood pressure under control. In...
What are the side effects of vitamin C?
Occasional side effects from taking vitamin C can include an upset stomach and a foul taste in t...
Dr. Holly Lucille - How does vitamin C help reduce stress?