What type of doctor will treat my varicose veins?

Doctors who practice phlebology are the specialists who treat varicose veins. These specialists may include family practitioners, internists, dermatologists, radiologists, cardiologists and general and vascular surgeons. Cardiologists are uniquely qualified to treat varicose veins, as cardiologists are uniquely qualified to do catheter-based procedures. Many of the treatments for venous insufficiency involve catheter-based techniques.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

A cardiologist who has been trained in the treatment of peripheral vascular disease can treat your varicose veins. Dermatologists can treat the cosmetic concerns, but this is not treating the underlying problem.

Your general doctor may diagnose your varicose veins and give you a recommendation to see a vascular specialist for treatment. These specialists most commonly are doctors from the following specialties: interventional radiologists, vascular surgeons, dermatologists or plastic surgeons.

Continue Learning about Spider Veins and Varicose Veins

Are Spider Veins Anything to Worry About?
Anyone can get spider veins but they’re more likely to appear later in life and much more common among women. In fact, more than half of women will de...
What is the VenaSeal closure system?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
VenaSeal closure system is a medical-grade super glue that's less invasive and painful for patients....
How can I treat varicose and spider veins on my legs at home?
Dr. Ellen S. Marmur, MDDr. Ellen S. Marmur, MD
Sadly, there are no effective do-it-yourself treatments or topical potions that will diminish the ap...
Dr. Steve Elias - What Are Varicose Veins?