Spider Veins and Varicose Veins

What type of doctor will treat my varicose veins?

A Answers (3)

  • Your general doctor may diagnose your varicose veins and give you a recommendation to see a vascular specialist for treatment. These specialists most commonly are doctors from the following specialties: interventional radiologists, vascular surgeons, dermatologists or plastic surgeons.
  • A Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered on behalf of
    Doctors who practice phlebology are the specialists who treat varicose veins. These specialists may include family practitioners, internists, dermatologists, radiologists, cardiologists and general and vascular surgeons. Cardiologists are uniquely qualified to treat varicose veins, as cardiologists are uniquely qualified to do catheter-based procedures. Many of the treatments for venous insufficiency involve catheter-based techniques.

    Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
    1 person found this helpful.
  • A Interventional Cardiology, answered on behalf of
    A cardiologist who has been trained in the treatment of peripheral vascular disease can treat your varicose veins. Dermatologists can treat the cosmetic concerns, but this is not treating the underlying problem.
    2 people found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Did You See?  Close
How does injection therapy treat varicose veins?