Are drug allergies inherited?

Drug allergies are not inherited—they are acquired during someone's life. Typically, to develop a true allergy to a medication, someone must be exposed to that drug multiple times. However, he or she may be more likely to develop an allergy if other members of the family are allergic to similar types of medications.

Is anyone in your family allergic to a specific drug or type of drugs? If so, be warned: You may well have inherited an allergic tendency and should be careful what drugs you take. May sure you let your doctor know about any history of drug allergies in your family.

Continue Learning about Allergies

Can Eating Peanuts While Pregnant Prevent Allergy?
Peanuts is a beloved comic strip, but in many daycare centers and school cafeterias across North America the legume is strictly taboo. That’s because ...
When should I see a doctor about my allergies?
If your allergy symptoms interfere with your daily activities, you have congestion that lasts more t...
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
Watch out for these unexpected causes of allergy flare-ups.
The Solution for Your Spring Allergies
The Solution for Your Spring Allergies