When should I go to the emergency room for an allergic reaction?

• Allergic reactions should be taken seriously. We recommend being seen by a doctor for any allergic reactions that concern you. Symptoms that should prompt an immediate emergency room visit include any difficulty breathing, swelling of the throat or mouth, difficulty swallowing and lightheadedness. Other significant reactions include rash, diarrhea, abdominal pain and itching.
  • A Emergency Medicine, answered on behalf of
    When Should I Go to the ER if I Have an Allergic Reaction?
    If you have an allergic reaction, would you know if a trip to the emergency room is warranted? In this video, emergency medicine physician, David Feldman, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital, offers pointers for making that decision. 
  • If you have an allergic reaction, call 911 or go to the hospital emergency room for:
    • Swelling of the face or throat
    • Trouble swallowing
    • Trouble breathing
    • Being dizzy or passing out
    • Coughing and vomiting
    These are signs of a dangerous allergic reaction. Get medical help right away!

Call or go to the doctor or clinic if:
    • Your whole body has reacted strongly to a bite or sting (bee, wasp, hornet, fire ant, and so on)
    • Your body has had a bad reaction to food or medicine
  • A Allergy & Immunology, answered on behalf of
    Any severe allergic reaction that compromises breathing or the heart should be immediately transported to the emergency room. If the patient has injectable epinephrine at home and knows how to use this, that should be injected. The patient then should be taken to the emergency room. Other reactions such as severe hives, swelling, gastrointestinal problems that do not respond to medications should also should be transported to the emergency room.
What are the dangers of allergic reactions?