Is valerian safe for my child?

Children under age 3 should not take valerian, as there is not enough research on such young children to know if valerian is safe for them. For children age 3 and older, valerian has not been shown to have safety issues, but whether it works has not been established.

One study of children under age 12 found that a combination of valerian and lemon balm helped reduce symptoms of restlessness. If your child is feeling anxiety or having trouble sleeping, work with your pediatrician. If you consider giving valerian to your child, you may want to do so for a short period of time rather than as a long-term treatment.

Continue Learning about Valerian

Does valerian have any side effects?
MediGuardMediGuard
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 12% of patients experien...
How soon after taking valerian might my insomnia improve?
If you are taking valerian to help you sleep, you may need to take it for several days, even up ...
Is valerian regulated by the FDA?
Valerian is considered a dietary supplement in the United States, so the Food and Drug Administr...
Can Valerian Work as Well as Sleep Medications?