What is the most common root cause of stomach ulcers?

Sanjay Krishnan
Sanjay Krishnan on behalf of MDLIVE
Healthcare
There are different types of stomach ulcers. The most common type of stomach ulcer is what we call Peptic Ulcer Disease (PUD) and has been linked to a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori. Treatment is with antibiotics for 2 weeks. When referring to stomach ulcers in general as most people talk about, the common causes are the use of alcohol, NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as aspirin, ibuprofen/motrin, Advil, naprosyn, and celebrex. Stress can certainly have a significant role in this as well!

Continue Learning about Ulcers

Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Could I Have an Ulcer and Not Know It?
Around 25 million people will have a stomach ulcer in their lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Despite their preva...
What is a duodenal ulcer?
A duodenal ulcer is a kind of peptic ulcer in which a sore is formed in the duodenum, or the first p...
Can ulcers have any complications?
Michael S. Frist, MDMichael S. Frist, MD
Peptic ulcers are ulcers that occur in either the stomach or first portion of the small intestine (d...
Eat Cranberries for a Healthier Stomach and Mouth.