How often should I perform cardio endurance activities?

Wendy Batts
Fitness
Depending on your goal, you can perform cardio endurance activities up to 5-6 days per week. When you are first beginning a cardio program it should be a gradual process. Try starting out performing cardio endurance activities like cycling, jogging, swimming or hiking 2-3 times a week for at least 10-20 minutes each time and then work your way up until you can maintain 30-45 minutes. From there, increase the amount of activities you do each week until you are up to 5-6 times a week. To keep from burning out or becoming bored, try switching up your cardio activities, challenging yourself to perform the activity longer, or pushing yourself to increase your speed. Just remember not to overdo it or push yourself too hard. Allow your body to rest to avoid overuse injuries and keep your body performing optimally.

If you are performing cardiorespiratory training to meet general health activity recommendations, then you should complete 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity five to seven days per week. Moderate aerobic activity is any activity to increase your heart rate while still being able to hold a conversation (such as a brisk walk). Because the intensity level is low for general health recommendations, it makes it so that you can perform cardio every single day of the week, if desired, because there is less of a need for recovery. If your cardio training regimen is for the intention of improved fitness and performance, then it is recommended that you train three to five days per week for 20 - 60 minutes each day at higher intensities. Improved fitness and performance recommendations involve intervals of greater intensity levels (up to 90% of heart rate max) and therefore require more rest in between training sessions for adequate recovery.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

The 5-Part Workout You Can Do Anytime, Anywhere
For the ultimate excuse-busting exercise routine, try this easy, no-shower-no-change-of-clothes workout, courtesy of Good Housekeeping's Drop 5 Pounds...
How do I perform backpedaling?
How do I perform backpedaling? Run backward with short, quick steps, pumping your arms and landing o...
Do I have to sweat for exercise to count?
Do I have to sweat for exercise to count? The idea that you have to sweat to benefit from exercise i...
How do I tighten and tone without bulking up?
The best way to tighten and tone without bulking up is to use high repititions and low weights. Lear...