When should I call my doctor if I have had a transient ischemic attack?

Having a transient ischemic attack (TIA), also called a mini-stroke or a warning stroke, raises your risk for a full stroke. This is especially true in the first few days after a TIA. If you've had a TIA, your doctor will prescribe treatment and lifestyle changes to prevent a future stroke. After a TIA, see your doctor regularly for follow ups, to be sure your medications and other treatments are working, and to check for any warning signs of a stroke. Get emergency help immediately if you have any of these signs of a stroke:
  • Sudden numbness or muscle weakness, especially on one side of your body
  • Confusion or problems with understanding
  • Trouble speaking or seeing
  • Sudden, severe headache
  • Dizziness or loss of balance

Continue Learning about Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)

What is a transient ischemic attack (TIA)?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a little or “mini” stroke. In some cases, this attack precedes ...
More Answers
What is a mini-stroke?
Dr. Reza Jahan, MDDr. Reza Jahan, MD
A mini-stroke, also called a transient ischemic attack (TIA), is a stroke that lasts for a few secon...
More Answers
What are the symptoms of a transient ischemic attack (TIA)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a stroke-like attack that lasts for a few minutes to an hour an...
More Answers
How can I tell the difference between a TIA and a migraine headache?
Dr. Egilius L. Spierings, MDDr. Egilius L. Spierings, MD
A migraine attack can consist of an aura only, with no subsequent headache. This type of migraine is...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.