What is tongue spasm?

Tongue spasm is a condition that causes a person's tongue to move in short, jerky motions. Tongue spasm happens to people without their willingness or control, which means that it is an involuntary condition. Tongue spasm can be temporary or permanent, and it can be caused by an underlying disorder, or it can be the result of taking certain medications.

Tongue spasm is an informal name for a condition that doctors call lingual dystonia. Lingual means tongue, while dystonia is a medical term for a disorder that causes involuntary muscle contractions, or spasms. Tongue spasms can make it difficult to swallow food. A tongue spasm may develop due to nerve problems or may be a side effect of particular medications. Treatment for tongue spasm will depend on the underlying cause.

Continue Learning about Tongue Spasm

Can tongue spasm be prevented?
It is difficult to say if tongue spasm can be prevented because the causes are not clearly understoo...
Do tongue spasms affect children as well as adults?
Tongue spasms are a form of dystonia, a condition that can affect people of all ages. Aging can ...
Will my tongue spasm go away?
Your tongue spasm may not go away. Tongue spasm can have a variety of causes. All tongue spasm cases...
How can I prepare to discuss my tongue spasms with my doctor?
To prepare for your appointment, make a list of important questions to ask your doctor. You might wa...