Are tongue spasms serious?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Depending on the cause of your tongue spasm, the condition can be serious. In some cases, tongue spasm may be caused by a more serious underlying disorder. See your doctor if you have tongue spasm.

A tongue spasm is an example of a focal dystonia, which is an involuntary and sometimes painful movement of muscles in the body -- in this case, the muscles in the tongue. Tongue spasms can be serious if they make talking and swallowing difficult and uncomfortable.

Continue Learning about Tongue Spasm

Can tongue spasm be prevented?
Find out about some medications that can cause tongue spasm, and how to avoid them.
What is tongue spasm?
Tongue spasm is an involuntary condition. Learn here about the symptoms and of tongue spasm.
Do tongue spasms affect children as well as adults?
Do tongue spasms affect children as well as adults? Tongue spasms are a form of dystonia, a conditio...
How can I prepare to discuss my tongue spasms with my doctor?
How can I prepare to discuss my tongue spasms with my doctor? You can prepare by making notes about ...