Are tongue spasms serious?

Depending on the cause of your tongue spasm, the condition can be serious. In some cases, tongue spasm may be caused by a more serious underlying disorder. See your doctor if you have tongue spasm.

A tongue spasm is an example of a focal dystonia, which is an involuntary and sometimes painful movement of muscles in the body -- in this case, the muscles in the tongue. Tongue spasms can be serious if they make talking and swallowing difficult and uncomfortable.

Continue Learning about Tongue Spasm

Do tongue spasms affect children as well as adults?
Tongue spasms are a form of dystonia, a condition that can affect people of all ages. Aging can ...
What is tongue spasm?
Tongue spasm is a condition that causes a person's tongue to move in short, jerky motions. Tongue sp...
Will my tongue spasm go away?
Your tongue spasm may not go away. Tongue spasm can have a variety of causes. All tongue spasm cases...
How can I prepare to discuss my tongue spasms with my doctor?
To prepare for your appointment, make a list of important questions to ask your doctor. You might wa...