Why is tea the most widely consumed beverage in the world?

Tea is the most consumed drink in the world after water. Originating from China, tea has gained the world’s taste in the past 2000 years and is an important aspect of Chinese society. The economic and social interest of tea is clear and its consumption is part of many people’s daily routine, as an everyday drink and as a therapeutic aid in many illnesses. Today, there are more than 1,500 types of teas to choose from because over 25 countries cultivate tea as a plantation crop. China is one of the main producers of tea, and tea remains China’s (the world's largest country) national drink.

Continue Learning about Tea & Health

Do This for 5 Minutes, Get 5 Years Younger
Here's a pleasant little pastime that takes about 5 minutes to do each day but could make you up to 5 years younger if you're faithful to it: drinking...
Can green tea relieve arthritis symptoms?
Potent compounds in green tea -- epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) and epicatechin gallate (ECG) -- ma...
Why should I avoid making my own herbal teas?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Because of the potential harmful effects of herbal teas, be careful about using herbs to make yo...
What Are the Health Benefits of Drinking Matcha Green Tea?