Is hot green tea better for me than cold green tea?

As long as you steep it long enough to release the antioxidants, you can drink it hot or cold and get the same potential health benefits. Research has shown small loose leaves (or your tea bag) that are steeped between 2-5 minutes optimally boost the polyphenols (antioxidants) in the green tea. Bottled ice tea may not have been brewed long enough to release its benefits before being bottled. But if you steep the tea for at least 3 minutes, you can drink it hot, cooled down or over ice. One minor difference is that hot tea retains more caffeine than cold green tea.

Continue Learning about Tea & Health

The Ultimate Iced Tea: Green!
The Ultimate Iced Tea: Green!
If you missed one of our most popular blogs on just how good green tea is for you, take a quick detour -- 6 Reasons to Drink Green Tea -- and then com...
Can green tea relieve arthritis symptoms?
Potent compounds in green tea -- epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) and epicatechin gallate (ECG) -- ma...
Why should I avoid making my own herbal teas?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Because of the potential harmful effects of herbal teas, be careful about using herbs to make yo...
Is green tea beneficial for eye health?
There is research suggesting that green tea may be beneficial to prevent eye diseases such as glauco...