As long as you steep it long enough to release the antioxidants, you can drink it hot or cold and get the same potential health benefits. Research has shown small loose leaves (or your tea bag) that are steeped between 2-5 minutes optimally boost the polyphenols (antioxidants) in the green tea. Bottled ice tea may not have been brewed long enough to release its benefits before being bottled. But if you steep the tea for at least 3 minutes, you can drink it hot, cooled down or over ice. One minor difference is that hot tea retains more caffeine than cold green tea.
- Q Is tea a healthy alternative to coffee?
- Q Which herbal teas will keep my mind sharp?
- Q Is green tea good for poor circulation?
- Q How can drinking tea help me burn more calories?
- Q How do I store tea?
- Q What is the difference between green tea and black tea?