How do teens use hand sanitizer to get high?

Michele Borba
Teens are using hand sanitizer, an over-the-counter cleanser, to get high. It's cheap, easily accessible and contains 62 percent ethyl alcohol. Some teens use salt to separate the alcohol from the sanitizer, making a strong concoction that is similar to a shot of hard liquor. (Distillation instructions can be found on the Internet).

Dangers: Teens are showing up in emergency rooms with alcohol poisoning after drinking hand sanitizer. Watch your supply!
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse In Teens

What lessons on youth substance abuse can I use with my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
After almost a decade of a decline in teen drug abuse, a new survey out this month shows a marked an...
How can parents prevent teenage drug and alcohol abuse?
Dr. John C. Eustace, MDDr. John C. Eustace, MD
Talk to your child. That’s the recommendation of many experts, including Mothers Against Drug Drivin...
Do You Know Your Children's Passwords?
Do You Know Your Children's Passwords?
Why Designer Drugs Are Attractive
Why Designer Drugs Are Attractive