How do teens use hand sanitizer to get high?

Michele Borba
Teens are using hand sanitizer, an over-the-counter cleanser, to get high. It's cheap, easily accessible and contains 62 percent ethyl alcohol. Some teens use salt to separate the alcohol from the sanitizer, making a strong concoction that is similar to a shot of hard liquor. (Distillation instructions can be found on the Internet).

Dangers: Teens are showing up in emergency rooms with alcohol poisoning after drinking hand sanitizer. Watch your supply!
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse In Teens

Why is spice or K2 dangerous for teens?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
The drug known as "Spice" or "K2" is synthetic cannabis.  It has really increased in popularity amon...
What can I do to protect my teen from cough medication abuse?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is what you can do to protect your teen from cough medication abuse:Check your medicine cabinet...
Do You Know Your Children's Passwords?
Do You Know Your Children's Passwords?
The Designer Drug More Potent Than Cocaine