Why is a stroke called a brain attack?

Dr. Douglas E. Severance, MD

Similar to a heart attack, a "brain attack" or stroke is caused when oxygen-rich blood cannot get to cells, often because of a blood clot blocking the artery. As a result, the affected part of the brain can die. A stroke often causes weakness or paralysis of the face, hand, arm, foot or leg. You can have difficulty speaking, loss of feeling in an arm or leg, loss of consciousness, loss of vision, unsteadiness and other serious disabilities from a brain attack.

Heart conditions such as atrial fibrillation increase the risk of a stroke. That's because when the heart beats too fast and out of rhythm, it doesn't efficiently pump all the blood out of its upper chambers, so that the blood pools in there and can form clots that travel to the brain, triggering a stroke. Treating the atrial fibrillation may prevent clots from forming and stave off a brain attack as well as other serious heart conditions.

Continue Learning about Stroke

Stroke: Why Time Lost Is Brain Lost
Stroke: Why Time Lost Is Brain Lost
Every 40 seconds, someone in the United States has a stroke. Like heart attacks, strokes happen suddenly and can affect anyone. These so-called “brain...
What questions might I ask my doctor if I have had a stroke?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
If you have had a stroke or mini stroke, it is not unusual to feel concerned and want as much infor...
How Does Obesity Affect the Body?
How Does Obesity Affect the Body?
What Are Symptoms of Stroke?
What Are Symptoms of Stroke?