Can eating red meat increase my risk for stroke?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD

If you are a woman who eats more than 3.6 ounces of red meat daily you may be at increased risk of having a stroke. A study of over 30,000 Swedish women between the ages of 39 and 73 were followed for 10 years. Those who ate 3 ounces of red meat daily were 22% more likely to have a stroke when compared to those who ate the least amount of red meat. Those who ate processed meat were 24% more likely to have a stroke. There is a correlation between red meat consumption and high blood pressure, which is one of the main risk factors for stroke. This may be part of the connection. Limiting red meat consumption may be a good idea in general as part of a heart-healthy diet.

Continue Learning about Stroke Risk Factors

What are the causes and risk factors of stroke at a young age?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
Family history is the main indicator of stroke risk, especially early in life. It’s not related to m...
What causes stroke during pregnancy?
There are two conditions during pregnancy that can result in a stroke. Pregnancy is a hypercoagulab...
Can carotid artery stenosis increase my risk for stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
In many people, the atherosclerotic narrowing of carotid arteries doesn't cause symptoms, let alone ...
Are there different guidelines for stroke risk between men and women?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
There are similar risk factors for stroke for both men and women. However, there are a few things th...