Can drinking red wine reduce my risk of having a stroke?

Reza Jahan, MD
Neuroradiology
A glass of red wine has been shown to reduce the risk of strokes as well as heart attacks. Most strokes are caused by blockages in blood vessels, and red wine contains a chemical that can open up blood vessels. Researchers are working on a pill that contains a similar chemical.

Continue Learning about Stroke Prevention

Steps You Can Take to Prevent Stroke
Steps You Can Take to Prevent Stroke
In 1973, when 30-year-old Billie Jean King played the former #1 male tennis champ, 55-year-old Bobby Riggs, in the “Battle of the Sexes,” it was her r...
What foods can I eat to help avoid a stroke?
Certain foods can help you avoid having a stroke.Watch the video in which Dr. Oz explains what you s...
Why might drinking moderate amounts of alcohol reduce my stroke risk?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
The reason moderate drinking may reduce the risk of ischemic stroke is that alcohol inhibits blood c...
3 Healthy Reasons to Sing
3 Healthy Reasons to Sing