Can I live at home after a stroke?

For most people who have had a stroke, living at home is possible only if they can manage activities of daily living, such as dressing, eating, and using the toilet. You also have to follow medical advice and take prescribed medications. But you will probably need help even if you can perform routine daily activities. Don't try to do it alone, at least not right away. Plan to have a relative, friend, or home health aide stay with you for at least the first night that you're home, and possibly longer. If you've been in a rehabilitation facility, chances are that someone in charge of discharge planning will visit your home ahead of time to evaluate what equipment and assistance you will need.
Steven A. Meyers, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
Strokes vary greatly in the degree of disability that they cause. Most stroke survivors can return home and to their usual activities. Many stroke patients may require rehabilitation either in a facility or at home for some period of time after they leave the hospital. 

Continue Learning about Stroke Rehabilitation

When can I go home from the hospital after I've had a stroke?
Dr. Natalia S. Rost, MDDr. Natalia S. Rost, MD
Some people who've had a stroke can return home after a few days in the hospital. Others will not ge...
What is the role of an occupational therapist in stroke rehabilitation?
An occupational therapist helps you return to as many activities of daily life as possible. The ther...
What is the role of a physiatrist in stroke rehabilitation?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
A physiatrist is a physician who specializes in physical medicine and stroke rehabilitation. A physi...
Do therapists and patients have different stroke rehabilitation goals?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Studies have shown that therapist may be aiming for small steps to help a patient adjust to a disabi...