What happens if my scar is exposed to sun?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

It is very important not to expose premature, immature scars to sunlight. Ultraviolet radiation during early healing period can lead to increased risk of all scar formations including hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation. Our post plastic surgical patients are instructed not to have an exposure to the sun for up to one year in order to prevent increased pigmentation of the scars.

Daniel Kapp
Daniel Kapp on behalf of MDLIVE
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

When scars are exposed to the sun early on in the maturation process (the first 3-6 months) they may become pigmented as a result of the UV radiation in sunlight.  Avoidance of sun exposure to scars is the best way to prevent hyperpigmentation.

Often, when a scar is exposed to the sun's harsh ultraviolet rays, it sunburns more easily than the rest of your skin. The result is often a change in color, leaving your scar with a brown tint.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
When should I get stitches for my skin injury?
Usually, you won't need stitches for your minor skin injury. Most minor scrapes and cuts can be trea...
Why do head wounds bleed more than others?
Amy Balka, MDAmy Balka, MD
Because your head has a higher number of blood vessels than other parts of your body, wounds or cuts...
Why does skin near a cut become sore and swollen?
Skin becomes sore and swollen around a cut as a result of inflammation, which is the body's natura...