How does the body react to a skin injury?

When skin is injured, immune cells rush to the site to remove debris, invading pathogens, and dead and damaged skin cells. A blood clot forms over the area, forming a protective scab. Skin cells manufacture new collagen and connective tissue to fill in the wound. A scar may form depending on the location and severity of the wound, how well it is cared for, and the tendency the injured person has toward scarring.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What is a ring avulsion (finger avulsion)?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In sport, a ring avulsion is commonly known as a finger avulsion, occurring most commonly when a...
Why does skin near a cut become sore and swollen?
Skin becomes sore and swollen around a cut as a result of inflammation, which is the body's natura...
How do I prevent skin bleeding when I wear a bra with a wire?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
You may require a change of bra types to reduce bleeding from the under wire of the bra. In fact, a ...