How do I care for my incision after abdominal surgery?

If you’ve had an abdominal surgery, your incision will take longer to heal than the smaller incisions from a laparoscopic surgery. But basic care for the incisions is the same. Here’s what to do:

You may take a shower after the first 48 hours, but do not soak in a bath, hot tub, or swimming pool. Wait until your incision is well healed (and any tape covering the incision has fallen off). It’s okay to sit in a few inches of warm water -- just don’t let the water reach your incision, and don’t put soap or shampoo in the water.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
Why is my scab so itchy?
Your scab may feel itchy because of the healing process going on beneath it. The skin below your...
How does the body react to a skin injury?
When skin is injured, immune cells rush to the site to remove debris, invading pathogens, and de...
Why does an incision heal faster than a laceration?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An incision heals faster than a laceration because straight edges create less surface area to re...