What is the difference between vitiligo and albinism?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

People are born with albinism, while vitiligo develops over time (usually before the age of 40). As well, people with albinism have little to no pigment in all of their skin, and their disorder directly affects their eyes; people with vitiligo start life with normal pigment in their skin and only lose pigment in certain patchy areas. Although both albinism and vitiligo have genetic links, scientists are not yet sure if other factors, such as emotional or physical stress, sunburn, or autoimmune disorders play a part in the development of vitiligo. Lastly, some kinds of albinism lead to other health issues, such as lowered immunity, while vitiligo usually only directly affects the skin and potentially the eyes.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
Treating chronic hives can be challenging, and different treatments work for different people. Learn about five different treatment options that you m...
What Causes Hives?
What Causes Hives?
Hives are red, itchy, slightly raised or swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. They are also known as wheals, and by their clinical na...
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?