What can cause red, sunburn-like patches on my face and neck?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
A common cause of redness of the face and neck is contact dermatitis.

Your skin may have developed an allergy to an ingredient in a product you use or a product may simply irritate the skin.

Keep this in mind: Just because you have used a product for many years does not mean that the product is not the reason for your redness and/or irritation. Skin can become sensitive to products, even ones you have used for many years. Also, companies may add a new ingredient to which you may be sensitive.

In the summer, sun exposure can cause sunburn. Sun exposure can also act in concert with products applied to the skin. This can lead to "photocontact dermatitis." Oral drugs, such as tetracyclines and certain diuretics, can make the skin more sensitive to the sun. The result is redness on sun exposed areas, such as the face and neck.

Certain conditions, such as rosacea, can be made worse by sun exposure. Red patches can develop on the cheeks, nose, and sometimes the forehead and chin. Sometimes, pink or red bumps appear on these areas. You may also see tiny blood vessels called telangiectasia.

Protect yourself from the sun. Wear sun-protective clothing and use sunscreen. And check the sunscreen ingredients. Some can contribute to facial redness in people who are sensitive to certain ingredients. For example, PABA is a common sunscreen ingredient, but some people are sensitive to it. If your skin turns red where you apply sunscreen, look for "PABA free" sunscreens.

Because perfume can cause skin irritation, use unscented skin products. Try a mild, unscented soap for bathing and an unscented moisturizer if your skin is dry. Avoid spraying or dabbing perfume around your neck.

There are many causes of face and neck redness, so be sure to see your doctor if the problem continues.
Harvard Medical School Skin Care and Repair

Where can you get authorotative advice on skin care? There's plenty of advice out there on TV, the internet and in the aisles of stores peddling skin care products. Despite the abundance of products...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
How do I find a support group for a skin condition?
If you would like to join a support group for people who have your skin condition, ask your doct...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?